Follow all safety and usage instructions on the dye packaging and website.
We use an electric skillet but you can also use a burner on your stove or outdoor grill.
- TEST!! Cut a small piece of hoop wire to test the amount of time it will take to get the desired result.
- Wipe hoop wire clean to remove any dirt. Acetone is a good cleaner.
- Thread hoop wire on a dye rack. Dye racks are now available for purchase on www.HoopWire.com.
- Use enough water so that the hoop wire is completely immersed and allow for evaporation.
- Heat the water to the desired temperature. Most Acid dyes can be maintained between 180 and 210F for best results.
- Add dye and acid (white vinegar or citric acid) according to package directions. Stir. If using a powdered dye, make sure it is completely dissolved.
- Add hoop wire so that the dye bath flows freely around all surfaces.
- Process the hoop wire until it reaches the desired color. Acid dyes are best for dark colors. Rit Dye does not work for black.
- Remove the hoop wire from the dye bath and rinse in an ice bath or cold water.
Please contact us if you have any questions or via email at email@example.com.
Watch a short video here.
Please leave a comment and let us know what you dyes you have used and your results.